Who We Are
Our organization, known as The LPS Green Teams, is a grassroots alliance of parents, staff, and students representing all Lexington public schools.
We are passionate about promoting - in school and greater community - green practices including waste reduction, reusable food/drink ware, composting and recycling.
What We Do
Organize and implement recycling and composting:
- Support students and staff in sorting lunch waste in school kitchens and cafeterias.
- Educate community with Zero Waste Stations at:
- PTA/O Events
- Discovery Day
- LEF Community Celebration
- Sustainability Fair
- Farmer's Market
- Encourage composting of food waste town-wide by partnering with Black Earth Compost in Race to Compost
Advocate for the reduction of single-use plastics and overall waste:
- Endorse plastic bag ban laws in Lexington and state-wide in Massachusetts.
- Collaborate with School Committee to enhance School Policies, which stipulates LPS to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle/Compost. (School Policy Section EDE)
- Support the culture of reuse by advocating "green" infrastructure:
- Dishwasher in new/renovated school buildings,
- Water-filling stations in schools, town facilities and fields.
- Replacing paper towels with high efficiency electronic hand-dryers
- Collaborate with two Girl Scout troops on the Citizens' Articles of changing the town bylaws to eliminate/reduce the use of plastic beverage straws, plastic stirrers, and polystyrene food containers and packaging.